Friday, November 7, 2008

The Bright Side of the Browns’ Latest Loss

Unbelievably, the Browns again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory Thursday night, stumbling through a miserable fourth quarter en route to a 34-30 loss to the Denver Broncos – their second straight shocking collapse at home.

Whatever. Dissect it all you want, wail and cry all you want, but today, I’m a pretty happy man. Because the Brady Quinn era has started, and not a moment too soon.

Nothing against Derek Anderson, who accomplished far more in the position than I ever expected, and actually turned in a memorable year in 2007. A Pro Bowl year, in fact. It earned him a hefty new contract, so let’s hold the tears for D.A. I suspect he may turn up as a starter somewhere else down the road, and if that happens I’ll be rooting for him to do well.

But Quinn not only looked sharp in his professional debut, he said things afterward that sounded like the words of a champion. To wit:

"I told everyone, this one is flat on me," Quinn said. "I know I am good enough that I can make a play at the end and win.”

Hear that, Braylon Edwards?

More Quinn: ''There was no doubt in my mind when I walked out there that we were going to score on every drive. If you don't think like that, you're not going to be successful.''

Imagine that.

And finally, commenting on two Phil Dawson field goals, Quinn said this: "The frustrating thing was coming away with field goals instead of touchdowns. Nothing against Phil Dawson, but we've got to get sevens there."

Think about that. Points weren’t enough. Only seven points would have made him happy. Making plays in the clutch, and scoring on every drive, is the only acceptable result.

When is the last time you heard a Cleveland quarterback talk that way?

And this is the guy that the Browns' brain trust left standing on the sidelines for 24 games?

I’ve been to the stadium to see the Browns twice in the last two years. Both times, during warm-ups, there was one quarterback who stood out in my mind: Brady Quinn. He moved like a leader and threw like he was born to do it. Tight spirals. Accurate throws. By comparison, Anderson, Ken Dorsey, and, last year, Charlie Frye, looked average at best.

Well, all that’s changed. Brady has arrived. Take heart, Browns fans.

3 comments:

DemBones said...

Tom,

I too was impressed w BQ. Thought he could have taken some mph off of a few short throws, including, probably, the last one to Winslow. Maybe he looked so good because he has been on the sidelines for 25 games. He's matured, gotten to learn the Chud offense, had some of the savior pressure removed, settled in a bit. Many pluses. But now, I do believe, his time has come.

Anonymous said...

Excellent synopsis. He's got the entire Steeler Nation pooping their pants right now.

Oh well, maybe the rivalry will become again what it once was...that part is good.

Kellen Winslow was seen talking to reporters after the game.
Winslow - "I don't care if there's no 'I' in TEAM, there's 2 'I's in Winslow and Soldier!

Reporter - "And you didn't use either of them on that last pass from Brady..."

- Turci

Anonymous said...

Brady is the man!